Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pic of the week....




I'm sure you are all wondering why I have a picture of a shoulder with an area that's highlighted in yellow.... that yellow part on my shoulder is completely torn from front to back (or from 3 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position in medical terms)

I also have a frayed rotator cuff....

All of which will have to be repaired on December 2 when I have surgery.

I have NEVER had surgery in my life; minus my wisdom teeth being taken out which doesn't really count.

It will be arthroscopic, a 2 hour procedure.... my Ortho will repair the torn labrum and rotator cuff and I'll be on my way.

Over the last few weeks my shoulder has been really bothering me... I was swimming in the pool at the gym about 2 weeks ago and heard a loud pop... it hurt but I kept on swimming. I called our family ortho the next day and scheduled an appt for last week. He sent me to have an MRI last week which showed all the tears and frays... awesome.

This is the same shoulder I hurt in 6th grade when I dislocated it rolling down a hill at the Dallas convention center during a church trip. Apparently if you have a dislocation before the age of 16 you have a 90% higher chance of having a second dislocation later in life. So I've pretty much had a "loose shoulder" since then. But it has been exacerbated over the last year since I've been swimming so much.

Apparently this injury is most common in baseball pitchers...

Anyway - say a few prayers for me in two weeks when I go under the knife...

Happy Thursday!

0 comments:

Followers